Established in 1591 by Muhammad Quli Qutb Shah, Hyderabad. Then the Mughals, the Nizams, and the British have built numerous monuments, which many people are not aware.
This is an evolving project and Images will be added under respective areas as I visit these places
1. Adil Alam Mansion, Nampally
2. Afzal Gunj Mosque
2. Air & Land Warfare Building, Secunderabad
4. Aliabad Sarai
Aliabad Sarai (guesthouse in Urdu) is located and one only draws blank replies, though it has been in existence since the past four-five centuries on the Falaknuma-Charminar main road. The stretch of ‘mulgis’ or shops below Masjid-e-Almas at Aliabad is part of the Aliabad Sarai. A unique structure in the midst of concrete buildings, it stands apart for its different style of architecture.
The old city, once upon a time, used to be surrounded by a giant wall, which had 13 huge gates that used to be opened after dawn and shut down after dusk. Alongside these ‘darwazas’ were the sarais.
They served as a check point and resting place for travellers. The public seems to be aware only about the Nampally Sarai or Tipu Khan Sarai. It was built during the Qutub Shahi period and is listed as a Grade 1 structure in the list of heritage monuments of the city prepared by HMDA. The 80-odd rooms in the Sarai are now home to a variety of shops. Ironically, the giant gate was dismantled a few years ago.
5. Ali Manzil, Public Garden
6. Allahuddins Building, Begumpet
This building belongs to the family of Ghulam Allauddin.The house of Allauddin and Sons stood as one of the most important house in the commercial world of the Nizam’s Dominion.The plan of the building started in 1933 and was completed in 1934, during the reign of Mir Osman Ali Khan. The building has coloured glass facade with intricate metal frames and grills and an external ornate staircase.
7. Amberpet Burj, Amberpet
8. Ameen Manzil, Saidabad
This historic structure got its name from Sir Ahmed Hussaini-Nawab Ameen Jung who was a member of the Executive Council of Hyderabad State.He came from Madras in 1895 and was first appointed in Hyderabad as Assistant Secretary in the Nizam’s Peshi Office.Later he became Chief Secretary of the Nizam of Saidabad. Love for books distinguished him from the majority of officials in Hyderabad.He raised a good library and housed it in a building which was named Ameen Manzil, at Saidabad The building has interesting vault roofs over verandahs and a mixture of Indian & Western styles of architecture.
9. State Central Library, Afzal Gunj
Located on the bank of the river Musi, the sprawling library complex built in 1891
10. Andhra Patrika Building, Basheerbagh
11. High Court of Judicature at Hyderabad
This is one of the finest buildings in the city, built in red and white stones in Saracenic style, by Nizam VII Mir Osman Ali Khan the ruler of the princely state of Hyderabad
The plan of the High Court was drawn up by Shankar Lal of Jaipur and the local engineer who executed the design was Mehar Ali Fazil. The construction started on 15 April 1915 and was completed on 31 March 1919. On 20 April 1920 the High Court building was inaugurated by Nizam VII Mir Osman Ali Khan
12. State Archaeological Museum
It is the oldest museum in Hyderabad state. Archeologist Henry Cousens first explored the site in the beginning of the 19th century, and around 1940 the mound was excavated under the supervision of Nizam of Hyderabad. The excavated items were place in a museum built on the ancient site. In 1952, the museum’s contents were moved to the current build, under the administrative control of Archaeological Survey of India.
13. Asmangarh Palace, Malakpet
The name meaning, Asman for Sky, and Garh for home, since the palace was located so high on a hillock. The palace hosted a museum displaying archaeological relics. The palace presently is converted into a school (St Joseph’s Public School, Asman Garh Palace branch)Located near the T.V. Tower at Malakpet, the Asmangarh Palace was constructed in 1885 by the Paigah Noble Sir Asman Jah. The Asmangarh Palace is located on a hillock with a commanding view of the surrounding forest, which served as a hunting preserve for the Nizam and his courtiers.
14. Asman Mahal, Lakdi-ka-pool
15. Azha Khana-e-Zehra
This magnificently built Ashur Khana is located in Darul Shifa In the year 1360 H, in connection with the 1300th Anniversary of the martyrdom of Imam Hussain, a group of eminent Shias of Hyderabad, consisting of Nawab Zain Yar Jung, Nawab Shaheed Yar Jung, Nawab Inayat Jung and Allama Rashid Turabi made tireless efforts for the construction of a Ashur Khan to be a humble but fitting tribute to the memory of the Greatest of martyrs.
16. Bai Pirojbai Edulji Chenai Parsi Dharamshala
17. Baradari of Nawab Khursheed Jah Bahadur
18. Baitul Ashraf, near Niloufar Hospital
19. Baquer Bagh, Saidabad
20. Bella Vista (Administrative Staff College of India)
22. Bhagawandas Garden Pavilion, Karawan
After the completion of Charminar, at about 75m feet to its north, four lofty arches known as Charkaman were built in 1592.
24. Chowmahalla Palace
The Chowmahalla Palace or Chowmahallatuu (4 Palaces), is a palace of the Nizams of Hyderabad state. It was the seat of the Asaf Jahi dynasty and was the official residence of the Nizams of Hyderabad while they ruled their state. The palace remains the property of Barkat Ali Khan Mukarram Jah, heir of the Nizams
25. City College
This gorgeous Indo-Saracenic building was built during the reign of Hyderabad’s 7th Nizam Osman Ali Khan. It was first the City High School and was later upgraded into a college. The building was designed by the renowned architect Vincent Esch, who was involved in the design of many buildings in Hyderabad and Kolkata, including the iconic Victoria Memorial.
26. Secunderabad Clock Tower
To honour the progress achieved by the British officers stationed at Secunderabad Cantonment in Hyderabad, the erstwhile British government established 10 acres of land for this purpose in 1860. A 120-ft high clock tower was constructed in a park of 2.5 acres in 1896. The tower was inaugurated by Resident Sir Trevor John Chichele Plowden on 1 February 1897. The clock on the tower was donated by Dewan Bahadur Seth Lachmi Narayan Ramgopal, a businessman.
The classical European tower is square in plan and soars up in three stages to a cubic segment housing the clock works. A fifth level in pure Gothic style serves as a finial. The lower three levels have been constructed with exposed red brick masonry pointed with white mortar. Forming a rough exposed base, it contrasts and draws attention to the upper levels finished in smooth plaster.
27. Clock Tower, Sultan Bazar
The clock tower was built several years later in 1865. At present, it stands in the busy locality of the Sultan Bazaar and goes quite unnoticed because of the buildings that have come up around it. Structurally, it is quite simple, with a square shaped base.
28. Clock Tower & Ramgopalpet Police Station, James Street ,James Street Police Station
29. Clock Tower – Fateh Maidan
The Fateh Maidan Clock Tower stands at the crossing where the Bashir Bagh flyover ends. Nawab Zafar Yar Jung Bahadur, the youngest son of Sir Khursheed Jah Bahadur, who was the minister for defence in the Nizam’s government, laid its foundation in 1903. The Nawab personally paid for the entire construction of the clock tower and the sixth Nizam inaugurated it on his silver jubilee. The clock tower has Gothic pointed arches on all four sides of the base.
30. Clock Tower – Mahboob Chowk
The Mahboob Chowk, a historic city square is located at a short distance from the Lad Bazar to the west of Charminar in Hyderabad. The elegant tower in an Indo-European synthesis style, was constructed in 1892 by Asman Jah, the Prime Minister of Hyderabad.It is a four-faced, free-standing structure, built in four segments.
The Mahboob Chowk, a historic city square is located at a short distance from the Lad Bazar to the west of Charminar in Hyderabad. In its heydays, it was a hectic commercial community shopping center of the city with shops selling diverse wares from household goods of daily use to arms and ammunition. In its present days, it now is home to traders of poultry, exotic birds, antiques and metal ware.
Dominated by a large mosque and a grand Clock Tower in the middle of a small elevated garden, the elegant tower in an Indo-European synthesis style, was constructed in 1892 by Asman Jah, the Prime Minister of Hyderabad.
The mosque to the west of the Tower was reconstructed by the VI Nizam Mir Mahboob Ali Khan in 1904 adding to the original one built by Khaja Abdullah Khan in 1817. The Moti Mahal, constructed in 1880, is to the east and is a fine example of European architecture with predominantly French definitions. This grouping of three Grade II listed heritage structures in close proximity, makes the Mahboob Chowk area a very important part of Hyderabad’s architectural heritage.
Mahboob Chowk is unique because of its style of architecture, amongst the fine examples of free-standing clock towers that the city has. It is a four-faced, free-standing structure, composed of four stages diminishing in elevation and plan dimensions from the ground up. The lower two segments are provided with wrap around cantilevered balconies supported on Qutub Shahi style brackets with low intricately wrought metal railings. Clerestory windows above the door openings, the base in dressed granite with a small central portion in stucco with pilasters flanking the openings and supporting fluted springing for the stylized trefoil arch speak of the architectural splendors of yore.
The next stage is completely in plaster, again with bull nosed clerestory windows and stucco detailing around the openings. The third stage has the clocks installed over the door openings. To prevent distraction of the eye from reading the time the frontage at this level is without any embellishment. The corners are decorated with slender detached Corinthian columns and the finial is a cupola of smooth stucco plaster resting on an octagonal base. For the unique synthesis in architectural style and for its grand and majestic proportions
31. Dargah Hazrath Shajauddin
32. Dargah Nooruddin Shah Ancient Gateway, Kukatpally
33. Dargah Syed Shah Mir Mahmood Wali
34. Dargah Yousufain
35. Darush Shifa & Mosque
The city had among its prized possessions, the Dar-ul-Shifa, a world-class hospital and the country’s first in-patient treatment facility, four centuries ago. In the late 16th century, it was considered among the three best teaching hospitals in the world, the other two being in Bukhra and Baghdad. If the Qutub Shahis had Dar-ul-Shifa, the Nizams had to their credit Nizamia Tibbi and the Osmania Hospitals.
Located a few yards across the old Municipal Corporation Office in an area named after it, Dar-ul-Shifa, was built in 1595, by Mohammed Quli Qutub Shah just four years after founding the city. The location itself needs a specific mention. It speaks of planning, vision and care taken by the Qutub Shahi rulers in creating the best of amenities for the citizens, though unani medicine was the only system of treatment available at that time. The scale of the hospital spread over all of 6000 square yards and its symmetrical arched structure standing around a quadrangular courtyard, looks stupendous
36. Devdi Akram Ali Khan, Gate Portion
37. Devdi Asman Jah
38. Devdi Bansilal, Begum Bazar
39. Devdi Iqbal-ud-Doula (Shah Gunj)
40. Devdi Imaad Jung Bahadur, Gunfoundry
41. Devdi Nazir Nawaz Jung (Chiran Fort)
42. Devdi Nawab Shamsheer Jung, Yakutpura
43. Devdi Maharaja Kishan Pershad Bahadur, Shalibanda Road
44. Dewan Devdi – Gate Portion
45. Dhanrajgirji Complex
46. Directorate of Industries, Chirag Ali Lane
This Palace was built during 1887-1890 as the residence of Nawab Muquarrab Jung, the accountant general of the State of Hyderabad. The total area of the premises is about 1.9 acres. This place was restored in 2012-2014
47. Errum Manzil
48. Falaknuma Palace
One of the finest palaces in Hyderabad, the monument is situated on a hill of 2000 feet high, located 5 km south of Charminar. Built by Nawab Vikar-ul-Umra, the fifth Paigah Emir, it was purchased by Nizam VI in 1897 as was used as a royal guest house and is now the property of Nawab Mukarramjah Bahadur, the grandson of Nizam VII. The palace was designed by an Italian architect and its foundation was laid on the 3rd of March, 1884, it took 9 years to complete the construction of the Palace. The palace boasts of one of the most lavishly decorated interiors This exquisite palace made of Italian marble was built by one of the Paigah nobles Nawab Vicar Ul Umra in 1892. A majesty testimony to the glory of the Nizams, it stands atop a hill 2000 feet high. It has often been referred to as the ‘Mirror of the Sky’. The palace was designed by a Italian architect and follows a western architectural style. Falaknuma houses a large collection of rare treasures collected by the Nizam including paintings, statues, furniture, manuscripts and books. The Jade collection of the Palace is considered to be unique in the world. The palace is laid out in the shape of a scorpion with two stings spread out as wings on the north. The middle part is occupied by the main building and the kitchen and harem quarters stretch to the south. The Nawab being an avid traveller, varies influences show on the palace architecture. Louis XIV-style decor with a lavish Mughal ambience, Italian marble staircases and ornate fountains. Its glass stained windows throw a spectrum of colours into the rooms. The palace has a library with a walnut carved roof, a replica of the one at Windsor Castle. The library had one of the finest collections of the holy Quran in India
49. Gandhi Medical College, Basheerbagh
The Gandhi Medical College building with its striking Regional Mughal Variation was built in 1890 for the supervision and maintenance of the Basheer Bagh Palace and later housed the City Improvement Board. The staircase leads to a corridor and into a high ceiling hall, which in its heyday was full of stucco. Two special features of the building are the rectangular kiosks with domical cupolas that decorate the corners of the parapet and the perforated screens exquisitely rendered in lime-mortar on the back, almost resembling the marble one, the hallmark of Mughal architecture.
50. Golden Threshold, Nampally Station Road
52. Hyderabad Public School
53. Jama Masjid, Charminar
54. Jawahar Bal Bhavan, Public Garden
55. Jhamsingh Temple
Jham Singh, was one of those gallant y Rajput cavaliers who migrated from Unnao district in Uttar Pradesh and went on to become a kumandan, a commandant of the remount corps in the armies of Nawab Sikandar Jah and Asaf Jah III (1803-1829). Singh had a passion for horses and an uncanny ability to pick the best of the lot. Impressed by his equine sense, he was chosen by the third nizam as the cavalier in-charge of buying horses for the army. And like some of the Muslim nawabs of the time who had an obsession for quaint palaces and mosques, he too took his passion far and gave a new meaning to the old saying “if wishes were horses… ..” Combining his innate talent with single-minded devotion, he gave shape to his imagination and the result was the Jham Singh Balaji Mahadev temple built in 1810, making the stallion a sort of leitmotif. The grand entrance with the rajagopuram has stone images of horses on either side besides the temple chariot which is also led by two wooden horses
56. Jubilee Hall, Public Gardens
Jubilee Hall is a royal palace built in 1913 during the reign of Mir Osman Ali Khan of erstwhile Hyderabad state in India. It is considered one of the architectural masterpieces of Hyderabad. It is located in the green lawns of Public Gardens popularly known as Bagh-e-Aam
57. Kaman Chatta Bazar
58. King Koti Complex: a) Hospital (old) b) Usman Mansion c) Nazri Bagh
The palace was constructed by the Kamal Khan, and it was sold to Nizam once he expressed his desire for the palace. The young Nizam moved in when he was only 13. After his accession to the throne in 1911, he continued to stay at the palace and did not move to Chowmahalla Palace where his father lived. Initially, Kamal Khan constructed this palace for his personnel residence: Thus the palace main gate, passerby corridors, windows and doors were engraved with the sign of “K K”. Later when Nizam purchased this palace, as it was a royal residence now, the young Nizam felt against his pride to have those abbreviations of other nawabs; he passed a ferman and changed the abbreviation “K K” to “King Kothi,” meaning kings mansion. Thus the name King Kothi came into existence. In the sprawling palace, various kinds of expensive items were stored in steel trunks, fastened with English-made padlocks. The palace has three main buildings, divided into two groups. It also has a huge library used by the Last Nizam
59. Residency Complex (Women’s College, Koti)
Koti Residency or British Residency or “Hyderabad Residency” is an opulent mansion built by James Achilles Kirkpatrick who was British Resident of Hyderabad state between 1798–1805. The villa is in the palladian style and similar in design to its near-contemporary in the United States, the White House. The house was designed by Lieutenant Samuel Russell of the Madras Engineers and construction began in 1803.
60. Kishan Bagh Temple, Bahadurpura
61. Lakshmi Paper Mart’s Building, James Street
62. Nizamia Observatory, Panjagutta
Nawab Zaffar Jung Bahadur, a Minister, who had a fascination for stars, showed “scientific temper”, long before the term became part of science jargon. He imported two telescopes – the 15-inch Grubb refractor and an 8 – inch Cooke astrograph from England in 1901- that were mounted at a strategic location, in his estate at Phisalbanda on the outskirts of the Old City. These were in 1908, shifted to a spot at Begumpet, that came to be known as the Nizamiah Observatory (named after the Sixth Nizam, Mir Mahbub Ali Khan). “The second oldest observatory in the country, it has played an important role. It became famous for its involvement in the international project, Carte Du Ciel or astrographic sky survey of mapping and preparing an extensive Astrographic Star Catalogue in a given celestial zone. The task of mapping in a zone covering declination 17 to 23 degrees south was originally assigned to Santiago Observatory in Chile but later shifted to Nizamiah. The project culminated in the publication of 12 volumes of catalogues giving accurate positions of nearly 8,00,000 stars”. The observatory, which also participated in recording solar activity in the International Geophysical Year in 1957-58 and the International Quiet Sun Year in 1964-65, became a precursor to the Japal – Rangapur Observatory where a 48-inch reflecting telescope was installed. The OU Astronomy Department itself came to be upgraded as the Centre of Advanced Study in Astronomy. Its observations of variable stars used to be communicated to the British Astronomical Association and the Harvard College Observatory.
63. Maharaja Chandulal Temple, Alwal
64. Mahboob Chowk Mosque
65. Mahboob Mansion, Malakpet
Mahbub Mansion also Mahboob Mansion is a palace, named after Mahbub Ali Khan, Asaf Jah VI, the IXth Nizam who lived here occasionally, though his permanent residence was the Purani Haveli. It is located in the Malakpet
66. Malwala Palace – Main Courtyard, Secondary Courtyard & Residential quarters: Charminar
Malawala Palace is one of the few surviving wooden palaces of Hyderabad built in late Mughal and Rajasthani style. The ancestor of this family, Sagar Mall had accompanied the first Nizam to Hyderabad in 1724. Sagar Mall became custodian of the revenue (Mall) records of the state. This function was passed down to his descendants hereditarily. Thus the family acquired the name Malwala.
67. Manjhli Begum Ki Haveli, Shali Banda road
The late 18th Century haveli, per se, may not appear opulent, standing as it is in the rear part of the spectacular Chow Mohalla palace complex, but it is one of those few Indo-European individual buildings left in the area, to carve out a niche for itself in the history of Hyderabad. Architecturally, the palace can be described as “arched beauty”, from the way the Moghul and European arches merge to form a symphony. Built by Mir Nizam Ali Khan (1762-1803), the second Nizam, for the favourite of his 12 daughters, Fakhr-ul-nisa alias Manjli Begum, after he shifted the capital of Asaf Jahi rule from Aurangabad to Hyderabad, the haveli is remembered for diverse reasons. First, it is named after a Royal Begum, a rarity in the built heritage of Hyderabad. Names of most of such palaces take after the princes, some of who took over the exalted masnad (throne) of Hyderabad State and not the princesses. This haveli being an exception, unusual for the time, it shows the importance and respect enjoyed by the Begum, also known for her piety, in the nobility of Hyderabad.
68. Mushk Mahal, Attapur
Mushk Mahal is a two-storeyed arched palace, the only one of the Qutub Shahi period to survive outside the Golconda Fort area. The magnificent symmetrical palace of 1681, built and named after Miyan Mishk (Mushk being the corrupted form), the Abyssinian slave who was the Keeper of the Royal Key, during the time of Abul Hasan Tana Shah, the last of the Qutub Shahi rulers. The first floor having stone corniced roof with projected brackets is in a slightly better shape, at least from outside, though the inside walls have been vandalised beyond recognition. The distinct central portion, taking the form of an octagonal drum, has lost its sheen but the upper portion still reflects the Qutub Shahi architecture. Jutting out a bit, it makes the facade very attractive along with two rows of pointed arches on either side.
69. Moghulpura Tombs
70. Mohanlal Malani’s residence, James Street
71. Monty’s Hotel, Parklane, Secunderabad
72. Mosque – near Jhamsingh Temple
73. Moazzam Jahi Market
Famous wholesale market for grain and other businesses. The place was gifted to tradesmen for everyday trade by Humala Begum the first wife of Nizam Ali Khan Bahadur.Thursdays are special days for shoppers of this places as a special market called Jumme Raat Bazaar meaning Thursday bazaar is conducted,the tradition is continued even to this day.A lot of markets have sprung up around this famed wholesale market like,Moazam Jahi Market,Siddi Amber Bazaar etc.
74. Nanu Bhai G. Shah’s Building, Sultan Bazar
75. Nizam Club, Saifabad
76. Nizam College
77. Osmania Arts College
Modelled after the Persian Pishtaq or the portal found in madarasas and mosques of medieval period, the huge portal is a triumphal arch that extends a splendid and pressing welcome into a sacred interior. Mir Osman Ali Khan, the last of the Nizams, after whom the university was named, said at the opening of the Arts College building “God be praised that this gorgeous edifice is now ready. This structure has no parallel in the world or in India for beauty, grandeur and nobility. The architectural style of the Arts College is like the Urdu language, the manifestation of the Hindu and Muslim styles of architecture and its façade, its pillars and its portals portray the culture an arts of the two people
78. Osmania General Hospital
79. Lady Hydri Club, Basheerbagh
80. Paigah Palace (Vikhar-ul-Umra Palace)
“Paigah Palace”, the palatial heritage building now housing the office of the Hyderabad Urban Development Authority (HUDA), is one of the cluster of palaces, standing amid what was a vast wooded area spread over 150 acres (a century ago, all owned by the Paigahs). It is appropriate because, HUDA has pioneered addition of Regulation 13 to the zoning regulations, listing and throwing a protective ring round 138 heritage buildings and nine natural precincts. Apart from “Paigah Palace”, Devdi Nasir Nawaz Jung (part of it leased to Chiraan Fort Club) and Vikhar Manzil located on a hillock nearby, are the other two palaces listed for historical and architectural values.
81. Parsi Fire Temple, Secunderabad
82. Prakash Building, Shivajinagar
83. Princess Esin Women’s Educational Centre, Purani Haveli
84. Puranapul bridge
85. Purani Haveli Complex
86. Qila Kohna & Mosque, Saroornagar
87. Raja Bhagwandas Building, Sultan Bazar
The Raja Bhagwandas Bagh Pavilion, was then a famous garden palace virtually draped in a shawl of green punctuated by diverse flower and fruit-bearing trees, much like the Daria Daulat Bagh of Tipu in Srirangapatna in Karnataka.
88. Shahi Jilu Khana, Gate Portion
89. Shahi Khilwat Khana
90. Sitaram Bagh Temple
The Sitaram Bagh Temple, built by Puranmal Ganeriwala, a banker, around the 1830s, is a fine example of a mixed style of architecture, where Rajasthani, Mughal and quite curiously, European elements blend to form a melange. The temple complex stands amidst a sprawling 25-acre garden, all of which is surrounded by a 20 feet high wall, lending it a fort-like appearance, in itself a feature. The gateways, in three directions – East, West and South, are all huge. The imposing main gateway on the Mallepally-Mangalhat road has a gopuram sitting on two walls that have balconies with European features.
The shrine is noted for its imposing gateways, in three directions – east, west and south. The main gateway is located on the Mallepally – Mangalhat and is adorned with an exquisite gopuram resting on two walls, which in turn have balconies with European features. The temple complex is entered through a zigzag path and one comes through a series of quadrangular courtyards, each noted for its architectural grandeur.
Most noteworthy features are a canopied overhanging balcony in Rajasthani style, a stone mandapam in South Indian style, three step wells and numerous inns and rooms with facades adorned with stucco decorations. A pair of fluted domed pavilions in Indo-European style, constructed in memory of Puranmal and his son, Premsukh Dasji, adds to the splendor.
91. Spanish Mosque, Begumpet
A STRIKING feature of the mosques in the city is its sheer variety. From the oldest Jama Masjid, then the Mecca Masjid, the Toli Masjid, the Ek Minar Masjid, the Ek Khana Masjid, the Badi Masjid to the ones named after rulers and nobles, they are all known for different architectural styles and the tales that go with them.
A mosque with unique plan elevation, it was built by Sir Vikhar-ul-Umra Iqbal-ud-Dowla, the Paigah noble, in 1906. It is believed to be the only one of its kind in India, with pointed arches, a pointed main roof composed of two truncated octagonal pyramids placed one above the other intervened by octagonal domes. The minarets aesthetically placed at corners of the parapet are in the same style, very unusual from those seen in other mosques in the city and elsewhere. And it is difficult to miss them as you climb on (from Paradise side) to the flyover opposite the Airport.
The other notable features are Moorish arches inside the prayer hall, Quranic verses in exquisite calligraphy inscribed on the inside walls, the absence of an ablution tank and a courtyard. In plan, the mosque comprises a main prayer hall, two rooms in front of it and a central corridor for entering the hall. It is over this central corridor or the entrance porch that the octagonal dome stands.
The mosque is built with stone masonry in lime mortar up to the basement and the superstructure in brick masonry in lime mortar. The roof is of Jack arch type on iron girders with brick and lime concrete. The domes, minarets and small turrets are built with brick and stone masonry and the outer face plastered with lime mortar. The central dome has a perforated screen.
Believed to be a copy of a similar mosque in Spain, it might have caught the attention of the Paigah noble, either during his eight-month long tour of Europe or he may have stumbled on a photograph. Whatever the source, the Nawab lived up to his reputation of being a great builder having a penchant for creating something unique, as seen from his magnificent hilltop palace of Faluknuma.
92. St. George’s Church, Hyderabad
93. St. Mary’s Church, Secunderabad
The St. Mary’s Church was constructed by the Irish soldiers of the British army stationed at Secunderabad cantonment during the middle of the 19th century. The foundation stone for the Church (formerly a Cathedral), was laid by Bishop Murphy on August 15th 1847, exactly a century before India’s independence. It is thus interesting to note that the construction of the Church was also a triumph against the dictates of the then Viceroy Lord Dalhousie, who wanted the Irish priest Bishop Daniel Murphy expelled. The construction marked the victory of the Bishop in successfully getting the Viceroy’s order rescinded.
The St. Mary’s church is an excellent example of early use of Gothic architecture in India and has been described as an ‘English Perpendicular Gothic’. It was constructed at a time when the trend was shifting from ‘pattern book architecture’ – which basically was the result of replicating well-documented existing structures, towards a more lively style in conformity to the then prevailing architectural trends in Europe.
The Church has an arresting façade composed of a domineering tall tower formed of soaring spires. The binding wall between the spires terminates just short of the pinnacle and is crested with a crenellated parapet. Although there is no elaborate embellishment on the façade, the imposing scale compensates for the plain elevation and lends grandeur to the building. Located on a small hillock, the church dominated the skyline of the area when it was constructed.
St. Mary’s Church is dedicated to the Virgin Mary and was specially built to honour her as the Queen of Heaven and Earth. One among the many magnificent mansions of Mother Mary in India, it has a remarkably beautiful statue of the Blessed Virgin Mary. Also the principle venue of the stormy celebration at the time of the visit of the pilgrim statue of Our Lady of Fatima in 1950, when some miracles took place, it is situated on the busy Sarojini Devi Road, Secunderabad.
94. St. John’s Church, Secunderabad
Constructed in 1818 AD, the St. John’s church follows the simple and bold lines typical of Indo-European architecture. A detached belfry was added in 1923 by the famous philanthropist Dewan Bahadur Seth Ramgopal. Although it has Spanish influence, the tower blends well with the original structure. This elegant and beautifully proportioned white church in all its simplicity conceals a magnificent interior. The rich wooden ceiling, its altar and pews have been repaired and restored. They now contrast stunningly with the freshly painted columns and walls. The conservation effort is a classic example of the love and affection that people have showered on this building.
In 330 AD the Roman Emperor Constantine issued an edict giving full liberty to Christians to build churches. The joy of the Christians found expression in a new and unique form of architecture. Ecclesiastical artists and craftsmen using their ingenuity and imagination composed great anthems in sculpted pieces, poetry in woodwork, and chorales in the brilliantly stained glass windows; the license was issued to construct the church in Secunderabad almost fifteen hundred years later in 1813. The Church of St. John the Baptist was consecrated a few years later.
Cruciform in shape the Rangoon teak wooden ceiling is supported by graceful columns designed according to a strict rule and order known as the ‘Tuscan Order’, which is a simplified version of the ‘Doric Order’. It served the spiritual needs of the British Forces stationed at Lancer’s Line, Secunderabad and Rev. J. Brachenbury was the first Chaplain. Military Officers, Non-commissioned Officers, Soldiers of the British Army, worshipped at St. John’s Church, as also the Railway Officers of the Nizam’s Guaranteed State Railway. Indian Christians along with a few British civilians were accommodated in the South wing of the Church. The maintenance of St. John’s church was attended to by the Military Engineering Service.
Arrangements were made for the introduction of electric lights only in 1914, and the pankahs made way for the domes only in 1918 after the war; whereas the aisles and open spaces were tiled with Minton tiles aesthetically patterned in 1914. Marble steps were laid from the Chancel to the Sanctuary and new telescopic brass altar rails were erected. One tends to overlook, at the foot of the Altar, near the brass rail, three circular pieces of art floor that covers the entire floor with Minton tiles of the Pascal Lamp and the symbols Alpha and Omega on either side.
The Military Band that was in attendance at the Parade Services on Sundays had the effect of drowning the voices, resulting in the congregation having no desire to sing against the band. The Organ as an accompaniment to the Parade Services resulted in a real hearty response in the singing. Thus the Pipe Organ became an integral part of St. John’s Church.
One of the oldest churches in Secunderabad it was originally an Anglican church but is now part of the Church of South India (CSI).
95. St Joseph’s Cathedral, Hyderabad
Established in 1820 AD, the construction of the present structure began in 1869 when Fr. Antonio Tagliabue of the Pontifical Institute for Foreign Missions (PIME),bought an extensive plot of land near Chaderghat, in what is now called Gunfoundry, to build a school, a church and a convent
96. Gate Portion – Shamraj Bahadur
97. Vikhar Manzil, Prakash Nagar, Begumpet
Vikhar Manzil built by the Prime Minister of Hyderabad state, Sir Vicar-ul-Umra. He was amazed by the Hussain Sagar by its view of the lake, and thus built this palace in Indo-European architectural style around 1900
98. Victoria Memorial Orphanage, Saroornagar
99. Victoria Maternity Hospital, Asaf Jahi Road
100. Government Unani Hospital, Charminar
Government Nizamia General Hospital popularly known as Government Unani Hospital is a public hospital located in Hyderabad. It is a hospital for general medicine and Unani medicine. It was established during the reign of Nizams. It is located near the historic Charminar.
101. Vilayath Manzil, Begumpet Railway Station
102. Homeopathic Hospital
103. Tomb Fakhr-ul-Mulk, Sanathnagar Road
104. Vijay Marie Church, AC Guards
105. Puranmal Samadhi, Asif Nagar
106. Ritz Hotel (Hill Fort Palace), Adarshnagar
107. D. Lakshmaiah’s residence, Monda Market
108. D. Pentaiah’s residence, Monda Market
109. Sardar Mahal
Sardar Mahal was built in European style by Nizam VI Mir Mahboob Ali Khan in 1900 for one of his consorts Sardar Begum. As Sardar Begum did not like the construction, she never stayed there. However, the building took her name. Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation took over the Sardar Mahal in 1965 due to outstanding property taxes. The palace is to be converted into a museum.
110. Raza Ali Bunglow, Near Fever Hospital
111. Façade – Baitul Ghous, Moazzam Jahi Market
112. Façade – Hifazath Hussain
113. Goshamal Baradari
114. Prem Chand’s residence, Sardar Patel Road
115. Shyam Rao Chungi’s residence, Padmarao Nagar
116. Dilkusha Guest House, Raj Bhavan Road
117. College of Nursing, Raj Bhavan Road
118. Yousuf Tekhri
This building belonged to Nawab Yousufuddin Khan,a subedar of Gulbarga,during the reign of the sixth Nizam Mir Mehbub Ali Khan.It is built in the form of a castle and is more than 120 years old
119. Khusroo Manzil, A.C.Guards
120. Devdi Ranachand – Ahotichand, Mehdipatnam
121. Panj Mahalla, Lingampally
122. Parwarish Bagh, Lingampally
123. Central Bank Building, Koti
124. Mini Bal Bhavan, Public Garden
125. Taj Mahal hotel (Old Block), Abids
The old block of the Taj Mahal Hotel was constructed in the 1930’s. As a small Bungalow, it is a fine example of Indo-European architecture.
Two stories high, it is built on a raised plinth of dressed granite. A square portico with semicircular arches dominates the façade. The central portion is flanked by octagonal rooms, with a multitude of windows and ventilators with sloping tiled sunshades. The basic lines are pure and simple. The only embellishment is restricted to the parapet and pediment where perforated screens and cut plaster decorations in stuck, crown the otherwise Spartan structure.
The building has been conserved sensitively and is in good structural condition. The signages and utilities have been consciously designed so as not to detract from the simple grace and beauty of the building. All of these are retractable changes and blend in without disturbing any of the elements.
The Taj Mahal Hotel campus is vast for a budget hotel, while the facade is neo-ethnic with Victorian splendor blending in easily with modern elan. The hotel has well-furnished rooms, all vintagely done, spacious and value-for-money.
126. Ravi Bar, Troop Bazar
127. Hyderabad Central Building Division’s office, Moazzam Jahi Market
128. Roshan Mahal
129. Central Co-operative Training College, Nizam College Road
130. Mahboobia Girls High School & Junior College Madraasa-E-Aliya, Gunfoundry
Famous personalities who are credited for setting up this school include the Indian nightingale Sarojini Naidu, Begum Khadiv Jung and Lady Amina Hydri, Mumtaz Yarud-dowla, Mrs. Sorabji Jamshedji and Mrs. Nandy. They are said to have approached the sixth Nizam sixth, Mir Mahboob Ali Khan for this purpose through Casson Walker, the wife of Sir George Cassep Walker, the then Finance Minister.
131. Reddy Hostel, Abids
132. Mahal Wanaparthi
The original name of this building was called Mahabhoopal Manzil. It is located on JanBhag Road. It was constructed by Raja Rameshwar Rao II. The family came from Wanaparthy Samasthana to Hyderabad and made his permanent residence in 1910. (Special thanks to Mrs Madhu vottery for taking me to this place and Mr Vikram Dev Rao for permitting to click and publish)
133. A. Majeed Khan’s residence, Purani Haveli
134. Old M.C.H. Office, Darush Shifa
135. Greenlands Guest House, Begumpet
136. Raj Bhavan Old Building
137. St. George’s Grammar School Complex, Abids
138. Old Jail Complex, Monda Market Road
139. Wesley Church, Secunderabad
140. Nampally Sarai, Tipu Khan Saraai Nampally
141. Bhoiguda Kaman, Mangalhaat
142. IAS Officers Association, Greenlands, Begumpet
143. St. Mary’s Presbytery (St. Anns School), Secunderabad
144. Krishna Reddy’s Building, Mehdipatnam
145. Heritage well, EFL University
It was built during the Asif Jahi period and is around 200 years old. It is a large stepped well and the geometrical design is distinct amidst a variety of historical architecture from the Nizam period. It is a three-storeyed structure which has five flight of steps, two on each storey and one that leads to the water. This well is in the shape of a square with four arches on each floor and is also a square on plan at the bottom.
146. Yakut Mahal
More than 80 years old, Yakut Mahal is Hyderabad’s oldest surviving cinema hall. The hall has two “Peerless Magnarac Machine Projectors” manufactured by J.E.McAuley of Chicago in the 1920s. In the old days, Yakut Mahal was frequently visited by the Nizams and the Nawabs of the city, and there were separate seating areas for women and dignitaries. The theatre underwent a restoration recently. It is fully functional and retains its old world charm including a separate enclosure for women
147. Mah Laqa Bai Tomb, Moula Ali
148. Aza Khana-e-Zehra
Aza Khana-e-Zehra, located at Dar-ul-Shifa in the old city of Hyderabad, overlooks the river Musi and is an example of the Osmanian style of architecture. Constructed in the 1930’s by Nizam VII Mir Osman Ali Khan as a house of mourning, this building is a high ceiling structure with a zenana gallery all around with wooden perforated screens. The structure is in regular use and in good condition.
Built by Mir Osman Ali Khan in memory of his mother, Amtul Zehra Begum, the magnificent structure had gone in for extensive repairs for the first time in its 67-year existence. The cardboard ceiling of the colonnaded hall had been replaced with a plaster of Paris false ceiling and the four huge chandeliers repaired and lit up. The old ceiling cracked since it was badly damaged and had fell at many places.
Also known as Madar-e-Deccan, Aza Khana-e-Zehra has since then been an important place for Shia worshippers. Its prized possession is four sacred battle standards known as ‘Alams’. The gold and diamond-studded standards are installed after the Muharram crescent is sighted and are offered the traditional ‘dhatti’ by the Nizam family members and other devotees.
It is one of the finest examples of Osmanian style of architecture. The renovation work cost of this house of mourning was borne entirely by Sahebzadi Rasheedunnisa Begum, the granddaughter of the Nizam, according to Syed Hamed Hussain Jaffery, President, AP Shiya Youth Conference.
149. Banjara Darwaza, Golconda Fort
Alamgiri the old name of Golconda Fort was “Mankal” and the ancestors of Deo Rai, Rajah of Warangal had built this fort with walls of mud. During the reign of Sultan Muhammad Shah Bahmani (1358-1375AD) this fort was made over by means of sanad by the Rajah of Warangal to the Bahmani Kings. This was ranked among the important forts of the Bahmani Kingdom in 1518 AD (924 AH) and in the same year after the death of Sultan Mahmood Shah Bahmani when other Governors had cast down the yoke of Bahmani kings and “Barid Shahi” was established at Bidar, Sultan Quli, the Governor of Telangana also proclaimed his independence and made Golconda his capital. Sultan Quli after constructing the boundary wall of the fort, the Jamay Masjid (Safa Mosque) and the Royal Palace (Dawlathkhanae Ali) and other buildings, named this fort, as Muhammadnagar.
The ramparts of the fort were strengthened by stone and mortar during Ibrahim Qutub Shah’s reign. When the Mughal forces under Prince Muhammad Azam attacked this impenetrable stronghold; a strong bastion called Musa Burj was erected close to the northern boundary. The elevation of this fort is 400 ft and the circumference of the fort wall is 4 miles containing 87 semi circular bastions, 50 to 60 ft high. Certain blocks of granite which have been used in the wall might weigh a ton each approximately and are firmly cemented together while some are bound with clamps.
The fort contains the following eight huge gates which are studded with sharp iron knobs, intended to prevent elephants from battering them in: Fatah gate, Makka gate, Paancheroo gate, Banjara gate, Jamal gate, Moti gate, Bahmani gate and New Fort gate. At present Fatah gate, Makka gate, Banjara gate and Jamal gate are open to the public. The name of Fatah gate was given by the Emperor Aurangzeb because through this gate the Mughal forces entered the fort.
150. Kachiguda Railway Station
Constructed by the Nizam of the erstwhile Hyderabad State in the year 1916, Kachiguda Station is architecturally the most beautiful station in South Central Railway and was the headquarters of the then Nizam State Guaranteed Railway.
A marvel in Gothic style of architecture it is endowed with central and side domes and accompanying minarets. Towering like a Maharaja’s palace, the Kachiguda Station is one of the landmarks in the Hyderabad city. Housing many modern passenger amenities, this station now serves as the headquarter station of the Hyderabad Division of South Central Railway.
151. Trinity Church, Bolarum
The Trinity Church is a medium sized Victorian Gothic style church, constructed in the mid-nineteenth century at Bolarum. The low-roof and stained glass windows give the visitors a feeling of a country church in England. The exterior and the interior, as well as the cemetery that is attached to the church are well-maintained. The church is in regular use by members of the Medak Diocese of the Church of South India (CSI).
The Holy Trinity Church was built in European style in the year 1847 by a member of the British Royal Family (Queen Victoria), which is why Queen Elizabeth visited this church and attended a service on her Wedding Anniversary when she visited India in the 1980s. The Holy Trinity Church, Bolarum pastorate, is an ecumenical church. The land for this historic church was donated by the Nizam’s Government, when
General Frazer was the resident of Hyderabad.
The church was the place of worship for then lived British army officers and families, following an Anglican way of worship; the Interior of the church adorns the Tablets of loved ones of British Army officers, died during their tenure in Hyderabad contingent. One can still see the original pews, which despite the passage of time have retained their sheen. The stained glass at the altar, the pulpit and the bell are all in their original eloquence, reflecting an era gone by.
The Cemetery next door also dates back to the eighteen century, also buries the History and the memorial of then serving British Officers and their loved ones, the oldest grave being of John Alexander, a British Army Officer of Hyderabad Contingent, who died on 7th April 1851.
152. Saviour Tree
Located in the park adjacent to the Osmania General Hospital is the Tamarind Tree (Saviour Tree) which saved the lives of more than 150 people during the devastating floods or ‘Tughyani’ of 1908.
In the first three centuries after it was founded on the banks of the Musi, the city of Hyderabad was inundated by floods more than thirteen times. The worst of these, and the last, occurred in 1908 and set in motion a chain of tragedies which brought on a succession of tribulations on the people of Hyderabad.
The massive flow of storm water emanating from the Musi watershed, which is said to have received 17 inches of rainfall, swelled with outflows from breached upstream tanks, assuming disastrous proportions on the 28th of September 1908. Breaking its banks, the river rushed into the city. By the time the river abated, large tracts of densely populated settlements along its banks had been swept away. The devastation was most severe on the unprotected northern bank.
Chaderghat and its surrounding areas bore the brunt of the flood’s fury and the loss of life and property on this side was significantly higher than in other parts of the city. The full extent of the tragedy was recorded by Dr. Sayeeduddin Khan in his poem as “52 localities washed away and two lakh dead”.
Very few of those who had been swept away by the flood waters survived. Among them were a hundred and fifty who had managed to cling on to a tamarind tree and were rescued the next morning.
In humble acknowledgement of its great service to mankind the INTACH Heritage Award was presented to this historic Tamarind Tree.
The historical tree is located between Puranapul and Chaderghat. The then Hyderabad collector Rajeshwar Tiwari had put up a plaque in front of the tree and named it ‘Prana Dhatri’ at a function held in 2002. Osmania General Hospital (OGH) authorities use the place around the tree to celebrate ‘Hospital Day’ on November 30 every year.
153. Shoukat Mansion
HUSSAINIYA DEWDI NAWAB SHOUKAT JUNG HUSSAM UD DOULAH
DEWDI SHOUKAT JUNG BAHADUR
NAWAB SHOUKAT JUNG FIRST BUILD MASJID E HUSSAM UD DOULA , MASJID E DOULAT BAGH LATER ITS KNOWN AS MASJID IMLIBUN MASJID E LAL MOHAMMED MASJID E SHABBIR ALL THE MASAJID BUILD IN THE PREMISES OF HIS GARDEN AND SURROUNDING ONLY MASJID E SHABBIR WAS BUILD IN THE PREMISES OF HIS PALACE.FOR GENERAL INFORMATION AFTER QUTUBSHAHI DYNASTY NAWAB SHOUKAT JUNG ONLY THE NOBLE WHO DECIDED TO CONTRUCT THE PALACE OUTSIDE THE YAKUT PURA IT IS FAMOUS FOR 12 DAYS OF MOHARAM MAJALIS ORGANISED BY MUTAWALLI MD ZAKI ABUL HASSAN KHAN S/o.NAWAB SHABBIR HUSSAIN KHAN AZM ITS THE TRADITION OF THE FAMILY OF NAWAB SHOUKAT JUNG SINCE 15TH GENERATION
PROTECTED ARCHAEOLOGICAL MONUMENTS:
1. Akkannaas Sarai, Maisaram
2. Armenian Cemetry, Uppuguda
3. Badshahi Ashurkhana
5. Dabirpura Gate
6. Darga Hazrath Saidanima Saheba, Boats Club, Secunderabad
7. Darga Hazrath Syed Shah Razuddin
8. Fortification and Baradari, Malkajgiri
9. Golconda Fort
11. Hakim’s Tomb, Mosque & Sarai, Jubilee Hills
12. Hayat Bakshi Begum’s Mosque, Hayatnagar
13. Janwada Grave & Mosque
14. Khairati Begum’s Tomb & Mosque, Khairatabad
15. Khairat Khan’s Tomb
16. Khazana Building, Golconda
17. Kulsum Begum’s Mosque, Karwan
18. Mecca Masjid
19. Mian Mishk Masjid
20. Monsieur Raymond’s Obliesk
21. Mushirabad Mosque
22. Purani Idgah
23. Paigah Tombs
24. Patancheruvu Tombs
25. Premamati’s Mosque
26. Puranapul Gate
The Qutub Shahi tombs represent the most authentic and majestic display of the Qutub Shahi dynasty architectural traditions today
28. Shaikpet Mosque & Sarai
29. Shamsheer Kotha
30. Taramati’s Baradari
31. Toli Masjid
Constructed in 1671 by Moosa Khan Mahaldar, Chamberlain of Abdullah Qutub Shah, out of his allowance of one “Damri” per rupee for the construction of Mecca Masjid, it is also referred to in historical records as the “Damri Mosque”.
Built on a raised platform with a high plinth, the mosque has five lofty arches in elevation. A second row of three arches inside forms two aisles to accommodate worshippers. The main minars, flanking the structure rise to 20 metres above the plinth, sprouting out of pot shaped granite bases. A remarkable feature is the almost deliberate use of granite and basalt in embellishment. The decorative granite columns start of each arch and soar up to the roof. Although the arch finials are in stucco, the medallions on either side are of black basalt with Quranic inscriptions. A single row of polished black basalt pot shaped discs runs across the façade over the arches.
The rest of the mosque is in symphony is stucco. Profusely decorated, with exquisite designs and patterns, the Toli Mosque is a tribute to the excellence and superiority of workmanship attained by Qutub Shahi craftsmen. The parapet is in small arches with perforated screens in differing patterns topped with castellation held together with small minarets. The main minarets have a frill of semi detached plaster orbs that seem to dangle independently.