The house of the Nawabs of Banaganapalli stands monumentally and majestically between the main roads on the way to the pilgrim village Yaganti.
This summer palace is a magnificent building constructed by Mir Fazal Ali Khan about a century ago to stay put and entertain British guests or use as summer resort by the royal family.
The palace is above a hillock and gives a vast view across many kilometres of open stretch of land. Though no one lives here, there is a caretaker
The summer palace is attached to the main fort in the town, which is in the shape of mango. The origin of Banganapalli mango is traced to the town which was popularised by the nawab family.
The fort was occupied by Siddhi Sambhul Khan in 17th century after the fall of Vijayanagara empire. Sambhul Khan was directed by Bijapur Sultan to lay siege to the fort and evict the former tributaries of Vijayanagara Empire. He successfully invaded the fort and established the new order.
The fort remained under the control of Nawab family even during the British time due to the arrangement.
The principality was merged with India on February 18, 1948 through Instrument of Accession which was followed by occupation of the fort by the then district Collector Bangara two days later. Banaganapalli was prominent during the medieval times and in the Vijayanagara rule and other dynasties. According to history, Nanda dynasty which ruled the area constructed magnificent temple devoted to Goddess Choudeswari.